The following is the complete answer to the “debunking theory” related to the inquiry on Joe Bevilacqua.
I just note that, in his article recently updated, the “debunker” has never insert a link or used a question mark for the main object of his examination which would have been my newspaper articles and my long-standing journalistic inquiry. Why? I though it was evident the reason, but someone has not realized the difference between a proper fact checking and an attempt to discredit a journalist writing a load of pretentious hogwash.
1. WHAT IS THE TRUTH?
It’s easy to understand that Bosco is not a fact checker from the very first lines of his article (read above). Where is the link to my inquiry? There is not. Instead, there is the reference to what Bosco wants to show to readers, that is Joe’s recantation, presented as «actually true». There are also these facts “actually true”:
- Joe’s statement at the Monster trial about the fact he wouldn’t have had a gun while in the Army (here);
- My complaint against him for his admissions (reference);
- The absence of any cause against me carried on by Joe, even if I accused him of about 19 murders at least (reference).
2. “THE ONLY RELIABLE INFORMATION”
The journalist claims… No question marks, no links to my work. The whole article has been built this way. Could Bosco be considered “reliable”? Moreover his source, La Nazione, was in the newsstands on 27 January 1984 with posters claiming «the Monsters are two, arrested» (picture below). The real murderer killed 4 persons at least after that proclamation. How dare Bosco says that newspaper that was not aware of almost anything of Joe’s story provided «the only reliable information» in this matter?
The article on “the journalist” that the debunker quotes did not mention other than two single words heard from the “Florence Prosecutor’s office” (here’s the whole article with the two quoted words circled in red). The truth is that “the journalist” was interviewed as a witness by the Florence Prosecutor’s office few days after, on June 19, 2018.
3. MISLEADING INFORMATION
Do you see links? I have just never written that «the Vallejo Police Department is working on the case».
4. SAYING THINGS WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE
This sentence proves that the author here speaks in vain.
The identification of Ulysses by one of the witnesses of the Companions of Snacks’ trial in an African-American guest of the depandance of Villa La Sfacciata, Mario Robert Parker, is still doubtful, uncertain and without any confirmation. However, it would have been enough to read my articles to know that I used this supposed identification to reassure Joe. The truth is that nobody knew for sure who was the American man mentioned by Mario Vanni in his conversation with Nesi in 2003, not even Vanni. It is known, however, that the only American who appeared in the Monster investigation and met Pacciani near a wood is Joe. This reference is also in the article on his deposition “Pacciani was in the wood” by Franca Selvatici (La Repubblica, 7 June 1994).
5. THE WATER THEORY
Nero or “black” could also be a nickname that Vanni could have confused with the color of Ulysses’ skin. It could also have meant “water”, but not only (fascist, black-masked etc).
The water theory, originating from the observations of Robert Graysmith in “Zodiac” of 1986, regards the fact that the American serial killer made many references to this element. A list of them follows.
1. Riverside, October 30, 1966 (city where the murder was committed);
2. Dive watch Zodiac Sea Wolf, 1967 (advertisement);
3. Lake Herman Road, December 20, 1968 (crime location);
4. Blue Rock Springs, July 4, 1969 (crime location);
5. Springs Road, July 5, 1969 (phone booth location);
6. «Water hose», August 4, 1969 (letter);
7. Lake Berryessa, September 27, 1969 (crime location);
8. «I am drownding», December 20, 1969 (letter);
9. «Blue meannies», yellow submarine (movie on The Beatles), April 20, 1970 (letter);
10. «I was swamped out by the rain», April 20, 1970 (letter);
11. «I shall listen to their pleass for water», July 26, 1970 (letter);
12. «I am crack (instead of water) proof», October 5, 1970 (postcard);
13. «By fire, by gun, by knife, by rope (on the cover he copied there was also “by water” which here is omitted)», October 27, 1970, Halloween card, (based on the cover of Tim Holt No. 30, discovery by Tahoe27 here);
14. «I am crack (instead of water) proof», March 13, 1970 (letter);
15. «Blue meannies», yellow submarine, March 13, 1970 (letter);
16. «He plunged himself into the billowy wave and an echo arose from the suicides grave» (a “death by water”, excerpt from the Mikado by William S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan), January 29, 1974 (last signature).
It has been recently discovered (here’s the news) that also the Monster of Florence did the same in his only official letter which was postmarked September 9, 1985.
17. The title of the main article the Monster cut for his message contains the only whole word (“Della”) the mass murder pasted on the envelope. It reads: «Dear sweet waters, I do not know you anymore: my childhood dream is ended here». From here, the murderer cut other two letters: the E of acque, waters, and Z.
References to “wash”
1. Washing line ( link), September 27, 1969 (evidence);
2. Car wash (link), September 27, 1969 (phone booth location);
3. Washington Street, October 11, 1969 (crime scene);
4. «Washington street», October 13, 1969 (letter);
5. «I just washed my pen», November 8, 1969 (greeting card).
6. The “Italian” serial killer cut the punctuation from an advertisement for a washing machine brand as below.
6. THE BIRTHDAY CALL
On December 29, 1969, the office of the FBI in San Francisco sent a list of twenty individuals provided by the police to the Identification Division (here’s the airtel) for a check in the Zodiac matter. In their response to this request dated 12 January 1970 (reference), the experts of the Identification Division pointed out that the suspects in the 29 December list had «same or similar birth dates» (here).
Probably after the response of the FBI laboratory, noting the experts’ observation, the agents in San Francisco probably asked the SFPD an explanation to the suspects’ birth dates. Then, on 14 January, they reported to the Director and Identification Division that a self proclaimed Zodiac had called attorney’s Melvin Belli’s home saying it was his birthday. They did not specify the date of the phone call.
On 20 Decemeber 1969, the real Zodiac mailed a letter to Belli at his home in San Francisco. The murderer wrote: «I cannot remain in control for much longer» (letter). On the same day, a year before, he had killed a couple of teenagers on Lake Herman Road.
20 December is also Joe Bevilacqua’s birthday and the last day of staying in the newsstands of the issue of the magazine used by the Monster of Florence to compose his letter to Della Monica, in 1985.
In the same period of time in 1969, a self-proclaimed Zodiac phoned the attorney’s house. Not finding Belli, because in Europe, the man said to his housekeeper, Erna, something similar to what Zodiac had written: «I can’t wait.» Then he added: «Today’s my birthday».
Both Zodiac and the anonymous caller had tried to contact Belli at the same address, in the same period, asking for haste towards them using an analogous expressions.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Belli letter was opened only after Christmas and the news did not become public knowledge before December 27, which almost completely excludes that the call had been made by someone who, other than Zodiac, was aware of his message to Belli. This supports the hypothesis that the call was made by the real serial killer.
According to this source, the date of birth of the mythomaniac who had called Belli on television on October 1969 and would be traced by the FBI after another phone call to the KGO-TV (FBI communication) did not fall within this period of time.
Even if the public does not know for sure if it was the real Zodiac the man who called Belli and on what day the phone call occurred, if it was the serial killer, December 20 seems to be the most probable date of the “birthday call”. Obviously, in order to verify this deduction, the police could check the date of births in the 29 December list redacted from the public copies for privacy reasons.
7. RED PHANTOM LETTER
Zodiac probably did not write the Red Phantom letter according to the FBI laboratory experts who examined it in 1974, who stated, however, that the postmark on the envelope was illegible (reference). The date was just a supposition of the San Francisco Chronicle based on the fact that it was received on July 9. This is not great proof because the previous two letters were received respectively 11 (reference) and 25 days after mailing.
8. JOE’S REAL NAME
Joe’s real name is Giuseppe, according to the Italian Registry Office. Probably it’s his baptismal name, a variant of the American Joseph which appears on his American documents.
9. OTHER CITATIONS WITHOUT QUESTION MARKS
I never said that Joe fought «in the Cambodian campaign» and he did not.
I did not claim that Joe was in Vietnam with the 5th CI Detachment. He just worked for the Army Criminal Investigation Division which was composed of several detachments, not only the 5Th one.
The outfit wore by Joe in this picture is not a «navy uniform», but a uniform of the American Battle Monuments Commission for which he worked from 1974 to 2010. Here’s on the left another superintendent in similar clothes.
10. PRESUMED IGNORANCE
Joe saw the last official victims of the Monster a few hours before they were killed near Florence between September 6 – 8, 1985. He told the court at Pacciani’s trial on June 6, 1994, that he saw the girl wearing a swimsuit. She was not on a beach but about 80 km away from the sea and a swimsuit among her personal effects had been truly found by the police after the murder. Joe’s huge mistake was only saying that he knew about the crime before it was discovered by the police (here’s the translation of his whole testimony). This is just the classic mistake of a murderer.
I think Joe gave the name Raggianti (radiant) to Vigilanti just for sarcasm.
Why should he have known that Vanni was dead?
Probably Pacciani did not recognize Ulysses at the trial. Perhaps “nero” means that Joe wore a black hood, as the Zodiac did in the attacks at Lake Berryessa about 15 years before. Even if Pacciani recognized him at the trial, he probably would rather blackmail him to get himself off the hook instead of made a complaint.
14. If Bosco cannot understand the sense of Zodiac’s riddles, it doesn’t mean that riddles are illogical and their solutions “unreal”, as he may able to read in my solution to the Zodiac’s Halloween riddle. However, I have provided a ”real type” solution to the Mt. Diablo cipher.
13. DONNA LASS’ CORPSE
Joe said that the best way to hide a corpse in the Lake Tahoe area would be to launch it from a helicopter on the peak of the mountains in the vicinity of the lake, because it is almost impossible to find. It was just what he would have done if he had been the killer and had a helicopter.
According to Joe, another good place to hide a corpse would have been Emerald Bay, if it weren’t for the presence of campsites and rangers.
Except for Zodiac, obsessed with his “paradise”, I do not know how many people besides Joe would have said laughing that, thinking about it, the best choice to hide a corpse was represented by «Heavenly Valley because it means “paradise”»
14. A BIG MISTERY WITH A SCIENTIFIC SOLUTION
The sources behind the fact that Joe was accused of having admitted to being the Monster and Zodiac are at least three: the Carabinieri of Lecco and Monza, and the Florence Prosecutor’s Office. Also, the U.S. Department of Justice has been informed. Most of the other Bosco’s assertions on me are just considerations based on false things in order to discredit me and matter of a complaint against him for defamation (see here).